Thursday , 25 April 2024

16 years of operation for the Olympic Museum of Cyprus!

It is 16 years since the inauguration of the Olympic Museum at the Olympic Palace. The Cyprus Olympic Museum was initially opened at the offices of the Cyprus Olympic Committee (KOE) on Ionos Street in Nicosia, on 30 March 1987 in parallel with the establishment of the Cyprus National Olympic Academy (EOAK). On September 16, 2006, the museum was inaugurated at the new Olympic Palace. On November 22, 2012, the inauguration of the second phase took place, during which the museum was extended to the other floors of the mansion.
A special place among the exhibits is held by the uniform worn by Pavlos Kontidis in Weymouth, Great Britain in August 2012, the winner's medal from the 4th Zappeia Olympiad of 1888 by Theofanis Theodotou, a commemorative medal from the 1896 Olympics, athletic equipment of Stelios Kyriakides from the historic Boston Marathon in 1946, donated to the JIT by his family, torches from the torch relays of the Olympic Games, as well as personal belongings of Demosthenes Symeonidis, Lykourgos Archontidis and Domnitsa Lanitos Kavounidou. In addition, among the hundreds of objects in the museum are posters, mascots, accreditations, pins and sports equipment. Four separate sections were created in the museum, dedicated to the Olympic Games, the Games of the Small States of Europe (NON-PROFIT), the Mediterranean Games and the Commonwealth Games. The enrichment of the Museum with new important exhibits has continued and continues to this day with the continuous efforts of the Executive Council of the JIT. Along with the new donations made in the last year, the "House of Stelios Kyriakides" is considered, while the addition of Olympic Torches of the Olympic Games that followed the inauguration of the Museum is continuous.

Check Also

Start for the National Wheelchair Tennis Championship

Wheelchair tennis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *